IIS invests 1.5 Million SEK in MetaSolutions
The Internet Foundation in Sweden, IIS, is investing in MetaSolutions, a young company with modern solutions for information management. The investment is a part of a new effort from IIS to support newly established Swedish internet companies.
Press release from IIS – December 15th, 2016
MetaSolutions makes advanced data management available through cloud services, making it quick and easy for information to be more searchable and better described through using linked data. The applications for this technology are numerous.
One of these solutions is quickly becoming a market leader in Sweden, the service for publishing open data. Over 60 percent of those who currently publish open data nationally are using MetaSolutions’ cloud service EntryScape .
– We help our customers to publish in just one day, which is unique. Among other things, we have helped the Swedish Tax Agency create and use APIs for open data, something that is a prerequisite for digitization on a broad front. That IIS is now entering and investing in the company means we will be able to scale up and help many more, says Eric Hjelmestam, MetaSolutions CEO.
– MetaSolutions is a very exciting company whose mission – to help customers make large amounts of data available – is very much in line with the goal of IIS to promote the development and use of the internet in Sweden. By making it simpler for more people to make their data available, we are confident that new services and innovations will be created, says Staffan Hagnell, responsible for the IIS investment portfolio.
IIS is also a former customer of MetaSolutions through datahotell.se, a service where Swedish users can begin to describe and upload their data for free. The service has close to 100 users and is often used for publishing to öppnadata.se.
IIS as investors
This year, IIS has begun to invest in Swedish start-up companies. The main purpose for IIS is not return or to control the companies’ development, but to help companies in an earlier stage where it is hard to attract investors. In these companies, IIS will be a minority shareholder and the company will have the opportunity to buy back shares in future investment rounds.
The goal is to invest in three new companies per year. In order for a company to be considered, they must meet certain criteria:
- Focusing on the Swedish market.
- The companies’ services or products must be in line with the Foundation’s purpose and values.
- The companies can get help from the IIS organization for advice, but IIS will not work on the companies’ boards.
For more information, contact:
Staffan Hagnell, responsible for the IIS investment portfolio.
Telephone: +46 (0) 70-999 92 75
Eric Hjelmestam, CEO MetaSolutions AB
Telephone: +46 (0) 70-721 34 49
The Internet Foundation in Sweden, IIS, is an independent organization that works for the positive development of the internet in Sweden. IIS is responsible for the internet’s Swedish top-level domain .se, including the registration of domain names and the administration and technical operations of the national domain-name registry. Revenues from business finances a variety of initiatives to develop the use of the internet in Sweden, such as the measuring tool Bredbandskollen, school competition Webbstjärnan and the Internet Fund.
MetaSolutions makes sophisticated data management available to everyone. We want to make it quick and easy to make information searchable and linked. MetaSolutions already has several Swedish customers in the public sector and during 2016 has added several customers in Europe. The company is well ahead with applications to linked data and provides these as cloud services. One of the first solutions is open data. MetaSolutions was founded in 2011 by Hannes Ebner and Matthias Palmer, as an offshoot from research at KTH, the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm.